Friday, November 28, 2014

When It's Not Quite As Warm and Fuzzy as You Wish

Traditions.  Oh how I love traditions.
Do you ever find that the actual traditions don't always work out as warm and fuzzy and lovely and sweet as you hope? 
For example....
 
Today is the decorate the tree day, something I look forward to each year.
 
First my eleven year old daughter was being moody.
 
Next, my thirteen-year old was being thirteen.
 
Then he wasn't careful with one of Nolan's old ornaments.  That made me cry.  It didn't break, but a piece fell off. 
 
Then I had an angry tone with him.
 
It all ended with my daughter going into her room and slamming her door. 
 All the while, the Christmas songs are playing on the speakers.  We should be happy and cheerful.

 Of course, you have the sorrow I feel on top of it.  I'm sad.  Nolan was so good about the tree and decorating.  Sometimes it still feels like I am going to wake up from this nightmare. 
It's been almost two years, but I still feel like I should hear his voice at any time.


Does a parent ever get used to this?  I don't see how you do.  I mean, yes, you deal.  You have to. 


Many friends and even just mere acquaintances have said that what happened to Nolan MY SON has made them a better mother. 

Sometimes (in my grouchy brain), I think about saying "well, gee, i'm HAPPY for you." 

I don't.

I know they mean well.

But honestly, I am a worse mother since losing Nolan.  I feel short-tempered with my kids.  Sometimes I feel a little colder because my heart hurts so much that I feel like I put up a barrier. 

I digress.

Putting up the tree should be non-stop joy and happy times. 

Today it was not.

2 comments:

  1. I suspect that my wife feels much the same way as you do. In our case, it has been more than 4 years since our daughter was killed in a tragic accident, and she still struggles with her profound grief on a regular basis. I've learned that we all cope with our grief in our own way, at our own pace. I have found myself in an entirely different place than my wife, which is hard for me. I want so badly to help her heal, but there is so little that I can do. Sometimes, she just needs space, and other times she just needs space with her sorrow.

    So...while I suspect that I do understand at least a little of what you've experienced, I also know that there is nothing I can say that will make anything better. I probably won't respond much to what you write, but I will be here, reading. Know that you are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words and I am so sorry that you know this loss as well. Yes, I have found the same about how we grieve. My husband and I are completely different in our grief. It's a lonesome road sometimes.

      Delete