Sunday, July 28, 2013

Liam and our dog willie

We found out this week that our dog Willie has an enlarged heart.  His heart is about 3 times the normal size and is pretty much taking up all the space inside his little body.  His lungs are crowded.  That's the reason for his cough, which is what prompted us to take him into the vet.  We took him to Crest Animal Hospital and I really liked the dr.  We have started him on some meds that may help, may lengthen his life, may improve his breathing.  Essentially the prognosis is not good though.  His little big heart could stop at anytime without warning.  Sounds kind of like Nolan, huh? 

When I told Liam and Logan the news, they both immediately started bawling.  I hugged both of them on the sofa and cried with them.  All I could think was why do they have to go through something like this so soon after losing Nolan? 

Liam is so scared that he is going to be the one to find Willie dead.  I kind of wish I hadn't told them, but I also felt like I had to be honest with them.  Willie could live another year, but he could die tomorrow.  We just don't know.   And besides, Ciara was with me at the Vet & so she knew what the prognosis was.  So I couldn't keep it a secret.  But now the kids live in fear of Willie dying, especially Liam.  I understand.  He found Nolan.  That was horrible.  Finding Willie won't be quite as horrible because a) we have warning and b) it's our dog, not our brother/son.  Yes, we love our pets... but I'd trade Willie for Nolan in a heartbeat, of course....  

I hope that I'm the one who finds Willie.  Or it would be ok if Patrick did.  But I just hope it is one of us, not the kids.  They have had so much trauma this year that they just deserve that one little thing, don't they?  And I hope that Willie stays with us for awhile longer... I read something online about a dog with an enlarged heart who lived another year and a half after finding out.  So it's possible he will. 

Losing a pet is supposed to be a child's first dealing with death....  I just think it will be even harder for them now.  

On the upside, we said to them just think how happy Nolan will be to see Willie in Heaven.  And how happy Willie will be to see Nolan.  And for all you freaks out there who say animals don't go to heaven, I'm sticking out my tongue at you.  Because seriously, God created these beautiful sweet creatures.  Perhaps they don't have "souls"... I don't know.  i'm not going to argue theology with you.   You won't convince me otherwise.  If there is a Heaven, then animals are a part of it. 

2 comments:

  1. I have followed you for a while. I am so sorry for your loss and have prayed for you. Kirk Cameron has an upcoming movie that may help you tremendously. I am providing a link here. I pray you will watch in September. I know I will.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQXmYJCP8hA&feature=youtu.be I hope it works but if not, look up Kirk Cameron Unstoppable Promo 1 on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I had heard of that movie & don't know much about it, but thought it sounded like something that could be up my alley.

      Delete